Sunday, March 6, 2011

How I "Get Over It"

-This is a post I began writing at least a year ago... Not sure why I didn't post it then but here it is now-

When presented with a problem or challenge others face, I've been telling people a lot lately that they're choosing to have that problem or not...they sometimes feel misunderstood which is not the desired effect. I realize that when a person hears that they're choosing to feel a certain way about something – it can seem that I'm saying “it's all in your mind” or suggesting that they can somehow change the circumstances or whatever with some mystical mind powers or something. Well, it may be mind powers, but I wouldn't say it was mystical by any means.

The process I'm learning that is helping me overcome so many roadblocks and therefore helping me accomplish so much is as follows:

When I recognize that I'm faced with a challenge or a problem that occurs over and over again, I realize that there is a choice in the matter. I realize there is something I'm thinking or doing that is keeping me there. I cannot wish or even pray it away, but I right then and there can decide that no matter what arises or what reservations I must have, I'm 100% committed to overcoming it. Nothing is worth the pain of the mistake that I feel. Connecting the pain of the mistake to the mistake is very important. I remind myself I've overcome many difficult things and that anything can be overcome. We're only given what we can handle in a particular moment – we just have to commit to get through that moment.
Then I remember that it all starts in my mind and heart. “it's only a thought, and a thought can be changed” is the phrase that comes to mind. So if I feel a certain way about something, it is because I have told myself some story about some information – almost never all the information needed to create such a story. The brain doesn't like unanswered questions, and inevitably has to filter due to the huge amount of stimuli coming in at it all the time. So we sometimes naturally fill in the holes.
Anyway, the thing that often keeps us from changing is a belief or a thought that we adopted along the way, usually a suckers choice. Something that says we can't do something because of xy or z. Examples are: falsehood: I can't write in my journal tonight because I'm too tired. The Truth: I can write in my journal tonight, but if I do I will lose sleep because now it is very late. I suppose that tomorrow I can write in my journal before I spend free time on the computer, so that I will have enough time for both, and get to sleep earlier.

So the falsehood would keep a person in the same pattern because it's framed as if a victim to the time today, when in truth, better planning most of the time is all that is needed to change the situation. The Truth not only recognizes responsibility, but line upon line it leads a person to devising a strategy to change. This comes because you are putting forth the FAITH required to believe that you have a brain smart enough to find a solution to the problem. It also requires COURAGE and HUMILITY to face your mistake – your human condition. This requires LOVE and PATIENCE for yourself, and remembering you are still an infant spiritually, and we are after all, here on this earth to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment